The Importance of Video for Storytelling in Tourism Digital Marketing
Storytelling is one of the most compelling tools the tourism industry can leverage to build its image and attract potential customers. Your stories can now be transmitted much easier with the help of video and short films.
Video has become a vital component of social media and social feed consumption. In order to achieve the best results, creating and distributing a video campaign requires some careful thought.
Who is your Target Audience?
- Who has an interest in the video content you produce?
- Which audience would you like to reach?
First of all, your content needs to be relevant to the audience you want to target. This will lead more people to consume it and potentially share it. You have a better chance of reaching a broader audience and generate some buzz on social networks. Creativity is always required to produce viral videos, but at the same time keep in mind to remain consistent with your brand identity.
Where to Broadcast your Video?
Next thing you need to consider is what communication channels are the most potent in reaching your target audience. Some considerations:
- YouTube for more traffic or Vimeo for better quality?
- Facebook to reach a broader public or LinkedIn for niche industry professionals?
- Instagram for a younger public or Twitter for influencers?
At the same time, it’s important to know the best formats for the chosen platforms. The maximum recommended durations are as follows:
- 10 seconds on Snapchat
- 60 seconds on Instagram
- 2 minutes 20 seconds on Twitter
- 10 minutes on LinkedIn
- 4 minutes on Facebook
- 15 minutes on YouTube
The social medium is fast paced, so keep in mind that shorted videos usually perform better.
What is your Message?
- What is the core message you want send?
- How does your story convey the message and why is it worth sharing?
- Sum up your narrative into one tagline.
- Is the story compelling or beneficial for your target audience?
There are three types of video content that are successful in engaging the social media audience:
- Inspiring Videos: Beautiful, artistic, and motivational. These usually have compelling visuals and inspire viewers to take action.
- Recreational Videos: Humour, surprise and curiosity. These videos provide viewers with a funny set-up and stir their curiosity.
- Educational Videos: Tutorials, tips and testimonials. These videos provide valuable insights.
A compelling story is both engaging and satisfying. It wakes people’s curiosity and it makes viewers care to want to watch it until the end. The video should create a feeling of anticipation and interest for the viewers, so you can deliver a solution or satisfying answer at the end of your story. Good stories are often the ones that we connect with most.